Thursday, March 14, 2013

New Lesson Learnt



I had a weird experience last night.

I am usually a person who HATES arguments. Hate it so much that I can stop talking for hours..hate it so much that I can be angry with a person for days..hate it so much that I can build an opinion about you.

But argument, in some disguise or the other managed to creep into my “keep conversations simple” life and nestled down in a dark corner, from where I could feel that it’s there, at the same time ignoring its presence.

So when it bared its fangs and stared right at my face..I would cry like a fool, scream like a mad woman or shut up completely. And the next thing you know, pretend that it never happened. All this fuss because, the source that brought this vice..well I had lost my heart to it long long back.
What do I do? I can’t argue. I can’t not argue and agree to everything. I don’t have the skill but I’m not ready to just turn into still waters where you throw in all the goodies of the world (or rubbish for that matter). Because, one thing that I know and believe is, if you accept without putting up a fight..you hate yourself and you hate who makes you accept. So I decided to try.

Which led to last night. Topic being simple yet complicated. Which of 2 states – UP & Rajasthan have better “Ghewar “– what is the general perception and what is the personal perception. What it led to was an hour long loud decibel argument to the effect of majority saying something means they are right against if you don’t agree with the majority that’s OK, as it’s a personal perception. Then it went on to examples of personal versus general perception of Biriyani from Lucknow against Biriyani from Maharashtra (I personally thought that example was an invalid one and should have been ruled out at source but sometimes you have to just play along). A very low blow was metted out to me by bringing in the example of fish prep of Bengal and the same from Delhi and again with Khichdi of Bengal against that of UP (verbatim “what if I say Khichdi from Bengal is disgusting and I find UP Khichdi better”) but as they say all lines of argument (even if logic goes out of the roof) are fair in love and war..don't know about love, you are at a loss if you can’t believe that when at war.

Yes, you might have just thought that these are actually tangential topics and definitely do not cross each other’s path. You are right. I am sorry I forgot to mention the foreplay to this romantic setting was a LOT of alcohol.


So tempers flew, voices rose. For the first time, I refused to give up. I refused to give in. it led to a new weirdness, I guess it’s occurrence happens when two people who never fight actually fight/argue in raised voices.


But the best part was, when it was over, it was just over (at least that’s what it seems like, i'll add more to this post if it turns out otherwise). There was no love lost over it and there was no conversation or embarrassment about the extremely illogical incident. This made me realize that I don’t hate arguing, I hate it if it comes with baggage. And I think I’m blessed to know there still are people in this world who think you can just argue and let go. 


New lesson learnt. Will be applied in real life with great gusto :) 

2 comments:

  1. Ghevar from Rajashthan is the Best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the argumentative indian was perhaps written with a bengali in mind...or so i think (personal perception). So keep arguing and more importantly keep writing...its great to have you back

    ReplyDelete